I guess this has already made the rounds. And if you agree that denying gay marriage is a farce of democracy, then you probably don’t need to watch. But if you supported further denying the love between any two consenting adults and believe that it can affect your marriage, if you honestly believe that our democracy or your religion gives you the right or responsibility to enact sanctions that prevent one segment of the population from living out the privileges that you have, then please watch. Please.
I define love thus: The will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth.
One of the major distinguishing features between acts of love and non-love seemed to be the conscious or unconscious purpose in the mind of the lover or non-lover.
Love is a strangely circular process. For the process of extending one’s self is an evolutionary process. When one has successfully extended one’s limits, one has ten grown into a larger state of being. Thus the act of loving is an act of self-evolution even when the purpose of the act is someone else’s growth. It is through reaching toward evolution that we evolve.
- Third, this unitary definition of love includes self-love with love for the pother. Since I am human and you are human, to love humans means to love myself as well as you. To be dedicated to human spiritual development is to be dedicated to the race of which are a part, and this therefore means dedication to our own development as well as “theirs”… It is actually impossible to forsake our own spiritual development in favor of someone else’s…
- Fourth, the act of extending one’s limits implies effort. One extends one’s limits only by exceeding them, and exceeding limits requires effort. When we love someone our love becomes demonstrable or real only through our exertion—through the fact that for that someone (or for yourself) we take an extra step or walk an extra mile. Love is not effortless…
- Finally, by use of the word “will” I have attempted to transcend the distinction between desire and action… Will is desire of sufficient intensity that it is translated into action… Love is an act of will—namely, both an intention and an action. Will also implies choice. We do not have to love. We choose to love. No matter how much we may think we are loving, if we are in fact not loving, it is because we have chosen not to love and therefore do not love despite our good intentions…
- One’s limits are one’s ego boundaries. When we extend our limits through love, we do so by reaching out, so to speak, toward the beloved, whose growth we wish to nurture. For us to be able to do this, the beloved object must first become beloved to us; in other words, we must be attracted toward, invested in and committed to an object outside of ourselves, beyond the boundaries of self… Despite the fact the object of love exists outside him, through his catharsis it has also come to exist within him. His knowledge for it and the meaning it has for him are part of him, part of his identity, part of his history, part of his wisdom. By loving and catheterizing his garden he has in quite a real way incorporated the garden within him, and by this incorporation his self has become enlarged and his ego boundaries extended.
- What transpires then in the course of many years of loving, of extending our limits for our catheters, is a gradual but progressive enlargement of the self, an incorporation within of the world without, and a growth, a stretching and a thinning of our ego boundaries. In this way the more and longer we extend ourselves, the more we love, the more blurred becomes the distinction between the self and the world. We become identified with the world. And as our ego boundaries become blurred and thinned, we begin more and more to experience the same sort of feeling of ecstasy that we have when our ego boundaries partially collapse and we “fall in love.” Only instead of having merged temporarily and unrealistically with a single beloved object, we have merged realistically and more permanently with much of the world.
Mysticism is essentially a belief that reality is oneness. The most literal of mystics believe that our common perception of the universe as containing multitudes of discrete objects—stars, planets, birds, trees, houses, ourselves—all separated from one another by boundaries is a misconception an illusion… mystics hold that true reality can be known only by experiencing the oneness through a giving up of ego boundaries. It is impossible to really see the unity of the universe as long as one continues to see oneself as a discrete object, separate and distinguishable from the rest of the universe in any way, shape or form…
Love is strong, it can hold you together when you are so far away. And love has no sense of distance. These wonderful and inspirational quotes just fill my heart with joy.
5000 miles away and you are still right here, in my heart and mind.
Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle.
Love is like a mustard seed; planted by God and watered by men
There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
You know you are in love
when you see the world in her eyes,
and her eyes everywhere in the world.
Love is strong yet delicate.
It can be broken.
To truly love is to understand this.
To be in love is to respect this.
I just want to hug you, but your are 480 some miles away, what I wouldn’t do for a hug
I wish that you were here or that I were there,or that we were together anywhere!
Before I sleep and after I wake up and all the hours in between … you occupy my mind.
So, practically every moment of the day you are in my thoughts. I miss you.
I may not get to see you as often as I like.
I may not get to hold you in my arms all through the night.
But deep in my heart I truly know, you’re the one that I love, and I can’t let you go.
When it rains it reminds me of you. Although 2000 miles away is so far I still always walk
outside in the rain and kiss it just for you. It never fails me. The rain will always come
and I’ll always love you. Next time you see a storm on the horizon please don’t fear
it’s just heaven doing me the favor of taking you my kiss. Walk outside and kiss the
rain whenever you need me.
Though miles may lie between us, we’re never far apart,
for friendship doesn’t count the miles, it’s measured by the heart
Don’t measure the distance;
measure my love.
We are the perfect couple,
we’re just not in the perfect situation
Here in my heart, that´s where you´ll be; you´ll be with me, here in my heart.
No distance can keep us apart, long as you´re here in my heart.
I know when I leave, the distance will keep us apart.
But distance, no matter how far, can’t change these feelings in my heart.
Tears in my eyes, you on my mind,
love in my heart, oceans in-between … I love you.
Far in distance, but near at heart,
you’ll always be the angel of my heart.
When you feel alone, just look at the spaces between your fingers,
remember that in those spaces you can see my fingers locked with yours forever.
Up in the skies, I look very carefully to see your face. I wonder if you’re there,
I wonder if tonight you’re thinking of me. I just want to tell you that
looking at the stars makes me think of you. By looking at it I just want to be where you are,
and hold you tight and never let go!!
Close together or far apart,
you’re forever in my heart.
Love is the shortest distance between hearts.
Before I sleep and after I wake up and all the hours in between …
you occupy my mind. So, practically every moment of the day you are in my thoughts. I miss you.
It’s true we don’t know what we’ve got until its gone,
but we don’t know what we’ve been missing until it arrives.
Just always remember that even when we are apart I will be missing you!
It took a while to understand what love is,
but it’ll take forever to forget what it was like.
I think I would miss you even if I’d never met you.
After a year of having to live without you,
I’ve realized I lost me when I lost you; I miss you.
If I knew missing you was going to be a part of my life,
I never would have let you in.
I miss you so much that you’re always on my mind.
I love you so much that you’re always in my heart.
I don’t miss you and you alone;
I miss you and me together.
I love you more than I miss you. If you put that in numbers,
you will need more than just a computer.
When you’re not here something’s missing; my smile